Sunday, January 9, 2011

Discovery Education

Discovery Education is a wonderful tool. I never thought of it as a web 2.0 tool, but after discussion with colleagues and consideration of the ways in which I use it with my students and in the classroom, it certainly seems to fit the criteria of web 2.0. There are interactive activities, ways to track progress if you are student or teacher, explorations, discussion boards, webinar series, and the list goes on and on. I would like to highlight some of the tools available through Discovery Education in my next couple of posts. I admit, there is a BIG downside to Discovery Education (DE) and that is that is not cheap. For me, luckily, access is paid for by the county and every single one of our students has access.

1 comment:

  1. I think one of the shortcomings of DE Science is that unfortunately internet access, interactivity, group work, computer work, etc... has become quite commonplace for our students. Think about it, we're trying to add this stuff to enhance, but with many teachers doing the same, I feel like we're heading in the direction of a net effect of zero. That's a long sentence, but does anyone else get what I'm saying? It's not new anymore, and its not novel anymore, and so I'm back to my students thinking it's mediocre. Which is where I was in the first place.

    ReplyDelete